Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Beard-Me: The Trial Period.

Day 5:
It's official. After a few days and much self-deliberation I will continue to let the hair on my face resembling a beard grow from here on out. This, like my newly acquired frying pan and secondhand dress shirts from my father, is just another step towards my assimilation into adulthood. With this acquisition of the thick, pronounced but mostly bold facial hair, I will hopefully conclude after a period of time with the following results: a boost in self-confidence, more respect from my fellow faculty members, an increase in perceived competency in the teaching field from anyone I encounter, drinking a lot more coffee, extemporaneous conversations about the economy and ways to rectify it, introducing the sweater-vest into my wardrobe, watching the evening news, making dinner regularly, reading the newspaper, listening to jazz music, hiking, becoming a monetary contributor to National Public Radio, listening to more jazz music and seeing a drastic decrease in the "What's up, dude?" questions directed towards me by my students.

Progress will be closely monitored until Christmas break. It will then be determined whether or not to keep the beard.

Thus far, (Day 5 of Total Beard Growth; Day 3 of Growth Exposure In Academic Setting) no faculty in the many small-talk moments I run into around school has mentioned anything about the scraggly mess on my face. Either they don't understand my goal of looking like them or they think that interns have no clue how or are too lazy to operate a razor.
Surprisingly enough, no students, especially the 9th graders who think I'm their older brother/best friend, have made any comments which startles me seeing the overwhelming and largely unwarranted attention I get by simply walking from one destination to the other.

Pictures will also be put up to record the progress:
















Now that is sexy...

No comments: